Around 90% of people use technology in the hours before they go to sleep. For most of us this is a natural thing, as we are constantly surrounded by technology. But what most of us don’t know is the different ways that technology is affecting our sleep.
- Blue Light- Blue light is the type of light emitted from most electronic devices. Looking at this blue light before bedtime can make it difficult for us to fall asleep. It may take a lot longer to become tired again after looking at this blue light.
- Noise- If your notifications on your device are left on through the night it can disrupt your sleep. Most people are programed to jump and check their phones every time they go off, it is no different when you’re sleeping.
- Overstimulation- Using your device for stimulating activities just before bed can make it hard to fall asleep. Stimulating activities include games, stressful conversations, or energizing work.
- Wi-Fi- The Wi-Fi signals coming out of your device can also mess with your sleep. Different strengths and frequencies of signals can affect you either falling asleep or staying asleep long enough to get a full night’s rest.
- Addiction- Many people today can not seem to put down their phones, this can be a big problem for sleep. If someone refuses to put down their phone, they are not going to get the proper amount of sleep each night.
If you find that your devices are affecting your sleep there are many things you can do about it such as simply putting it down, leaving it in another room, turning off your notifications, and changing your light settings.
Make the choice to put down your phone and start sleeping better!
Technology is nothing. What’s important is that you have a faith in people, that they’re basically good and smart, and if you give them tools, they’ll do wonderful things with them. -Steve Jobs