What is self-reflection?
- Self-reflection is the key to self-awareness
- It allows us to look neutrally at our thoughts, feelings, emotions, motivations, desires, and actions.
- It is about questioning, in a positive way, what you do and why you do it
- It leads to growth, positivity, and happiness
How Does Self-Reflection Work?
- With self-reflection, you look at yourselves with interest, curiosity, and inquiry, particularly when exploring your thoughts, behaviors, and emotions.
- The importance lies in its ability to assist you in creating positive change. It leads you toward better ways to support yourself including when and how to practice self-care, and how to listen to and your unique needs.
- Self-reflection requires you to press pause on the chaos of your life and simply take time to think about your life. It might not be easy, but it’s incredibly valuable.
What Are The Benefits Of Self-Reflection?
- It Allows You To Gain Perspective
- It allows you to pause, take a step back and gain insight on what matters and what can be ignored thus allowing you to process events and achieve clarity.
- It Helps You Respond More Effectively
- It allows you to consider the consequences of your words and actions. It enables you to consider the best, most effective, most helpful way to act in a given situation.
- It Promotes Learning
- It allows us to think deeply and ponder the meaning of our choices, emotions, and motivations. The deeper you go into your own self, the more easily you identify your core values
- It Promotes Understanding
- The more conscious you are of your strengths and weaknesses, the more you can see what you’re able to contribute and what you need to work on. It includes questioning the beliefs you’ve held onto regarding your potential, your identity, and your purpose. It helps you focus your energy where it’ll do the most good.
- It Promotes Better Relationships
- The better you know yourself, the better able you are to see and build connections between you and the people around you. You’ll have a better sense of what the people close to you really need because you’ll be more aware and respectful of your own needs.
- It Promotes Better Health
- The more self-aware you become, the less likely you are to worry about what could happen, what hasn’t happened yet, or what could happen. It enables you to see that self-care is not selfish. You will learn to love, forgive, and accept yourself as you are, without needing anyone’s permission. It enables us to achieve optimal well-being.
Why Introspection Matters
Self-Reflection Exercise: Journaling
- Simply take your time to thoughtfully contemplate the following questions. You can always add more as you go. The most important thing is to make sure that you don’t rush. Pause, Breathe, and Think about what truly matters to you?
- What makes you feel calm?
- What makes you feel in control?
- How do you shift your mindset if it isn’t working for you?
- What helps you slow down and feel more present?
- How do you remind yourself that you’re enough?