When we’re at home it can often be easy to fall into sitting on the couch and watching TV everyday when you get home from work. After a long and stressful workday, the last thing you want to do is exercise. Staying active is extremely important for your health and can lead to,
- Reduced stress
- Sleeping better
- Helping to prevent injury
- Weight loss
- Feeling happier
- Helping you to live a longer life
If you are having trouble getting started a general rule of thumb is doing at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day. To get started, doing even 5-10 minutes of physical activity a day can be beneficial. Here are some ways to stay active at home and not make it feel like you are doing something that you do not want to do.
- Walk the dog: Taking your dog for a walk is a great way to get out and get active. This not only benefits you but your pet as well.
- Cook diner: Cooking dinner for your family is a great way to get active around the house. It allows you to get moving around the kitchen and get dinner out of the way at the same time.
- Clean the house: There are always chores that need to be done around the house. Spend some time each day completing even a few house chores such as sweeping the floors or washing the dishes.
- Do yard work: Yard work is a great way to not only get active but to also get outdoors. Cutting the grass, planting flowers, or weeding the garden are all great ways to get yourself moving while getting some fresh air.
- Stairs: Walking up and down the stairs in your house even a few times is a great and easy way to stay active around the house.
Put down the TV remote and start getting active at home!
No matter how slow you go you are still lapping everyone on the couch.